Friday love: Why $ is not important

8:22:00 AM

I was on Facebook and Humans of Kuala Lumpur  was one of my many liked pages. It all started from Humans of New York. I like reading and listening to people's experience. You learn so much from them you know. We think (Generation Y) that what we have now are because of the hard work we put in. It is actually the effort of our great grand parents.

So as I was scrolling the pages in Humans of Kuala Lumpur, one particular uncle caught my attention.


I was one of those people who thinks money will make your parents happy. At one point, all I did was work, work and work. During the weekdays, I attend classes, go to work after class until midnite. I work during weekends too and during festive seasons. My parents were very understanding att hat time but my mum will normally think that festive season is about spending time with your family but I had to reasoned with her. Sometimes, I didn't pick her calls on the day that I was supposed to be home for Hari Raya or Chinese New year.

I skipped a few trip back last time to celebrate with them cause my focus was to get my triple pay. That was what I thought. I was focusing on the wrong thing (although $ was important) that by the time I realized how important family are, my sister is leaving for her A-level study. That was how fast time flew.


So as I realized what I did was wrong, I started to shift my goal and objectives. making amendment here and there. Wrong in the sense that my focus was more on the material wise.



 Many years after into the real working world, I started to learn how to balance between family and work. I do my work within my 8 hours work time and avoid staying back in the office. During the weekends, if not necessary, I don't switch on my work laptop. I go back to my parent's place at least once a month. 

As my dad has to fund my sister's education using his own savings, I try helping as much as I can and try to work things out in between. Juan was very supportive of this because he understands the situation and he too tried helping in ways he can.

Now that I realize my sister is growing up so fast and age is catching up sooner to my parents, I'm glad to say that I was given the turnaround point at a very early stage. At least I get to catch up the lost time with my family.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Instagram