Friday love: What have I learn from organizing a charity lunch

10:45:00 AM

I was given the trust to lead in organizing a charity lunch in conjunction with the company's Malaysia day celebration this upcoming September. Something that I love to do. Event management.

I admit that it was a little bit of a last minute task. I only had a due date of 3 weeks from the time I was briefed about this. From catering to selling the food coupons.

I'm very much lucky that I had help flying in from colleagues and they were really helpful in giving me advise and tips. It was not a first time task as I had experienced this in the previous company I worked with but definitely the first in this company of 2 years since I joined.

As the selling of the coupon starts, I had people coming to my cube and phone calls comes in inquiring about the tickets. But it only lasted 2 days. After that people don't bother anymore and even if they did, they'd ask why type of food will be served. So much 'interest' in doing charity.

I had posters printed and placed at the entrance of the cafeteria and even on the voucher itself, telling employees that the money collected from the selling of the coupons will be donated straight to our 'CHARITY FUND' and yet people kept asking 'Oohh eat what ar?'

You see, the idea of this lunch is to collect as much funds as we could so that it can be channeled to any charity body that is in need of financial help or perhaps an upgrade of their facility. People are not seeing that. All they see is expectation of what they'll receive in return of the RM10 they're paying. A nice lunch set with a healthy wholesome meal. Yes, there are some who couldn't care less about what food will be serve on that day because all they wanted to do was to help. I appreciate that.

So what have I learnt from this task?

We're living in a world where most of us are so consumed with the idea that money is king. To a point where sometimes we forget to pause and see things around us. We forget that we were like them (the less fortunate) not long ago. We were deceived that money is everything. We want value out of everything we give. I have the same idea like you too but I have never forget to put myself in the shoes of those people who are less privileged. I've seen how people goes through hardship as I travel to many countries. Put aside developed countries that you have visited, Stop for a moment and imagine what can your RM10 help. It really goes a long way.

I felt pity to those who asked me what food will be served on that day instead of thinking how the money that they gave us will help other people.

A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.
John Ruskin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Instagram