Friday love: The family gathering

10:43:00 AM

We make a point to go back to my dad's hometown at least once a year especially during Chinese New Year. Originally my dad has 4 siblings but eventually 2 passed away so left just my dad and my eldest uncle. My dad always remind us to not forget our cousins, uncles, aunties, nieces and nephews. He always stress the importance of family. Not just our immediate family member but also the extended ones. So he never miss the chance to bring us back to his hometown every now and then. Even when my dad was not around previously (he travels a lot), me and my mum will take the effort to go back.

My dad's family are moderate size with less young generations around. Most of them are from the older generations while me and 3 of my cousins are the remaining Gen Y. My sister is the only one who I do not know belong to my generation or my niece and nephew's generation. Due to the 10 years age gap, my sister spend most of her time mingling with me and my cousins #accidentbaby She's #kiasu I tell you.

When you're in the east coast, you do not EATother food apart from nasi dagang, nasi minyak and nasi lemak. Do you know that Juan had constipation after consuming nasi dagang 3 days in a row during the CNY celebration last year. Funny right? #notaneastcoastborn. Everytime we go back, we'll go to the usual nasi lemak and nasi dagang stall that has been selling them for generations. From zaman moyang lagi. To get a good nasi dagang, one has to wake up as early as 6.30am. It has been 32 years and I still suck at that -__-

I feel myself whenever I travel to the east coast. Although I wasn't raised there, but it has always been a part of me. The food especially. Ever since my grandma passed away many years back, I never miss any chance I had to visit any of my relatives. My point is, blood is thicker than water because you have the same blood flowing in each other's body. Do not take TIME for granted cause time waits for no one. If you feel like you wanna meet a long lost friend/family, find a way to see them. Don't use time as your excuse. Don't procrastinate. Chances that you might not see them again.

I told Juan that I want my kids growing up knowing who their extended family are. Who are their uncles and aunties. I want to raise our kids like how my mum and dad did.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Instagram