Why staying in kampung is better?

9:08:00 AM

Well, I grew up in a small town called Kangar. Situated at the most up north side of Malaysia. Border to the the land of fragrance rice, Thailand.

Sawadeekap

Back when I was still a high school student, I've been waiting for the day I moved out of my kampung. Everything seem so marvelous for me in the big city. The shopping malls, the people, the way people dress and of course....the boys. They seems much more macho compared to the kampung boys I know. Well, so I thought things were much better in the city.

Then came the day I had to moved to where I am currently now, Penang. I didn't want to move to Kuala Lumpur thinking that it would be much further for me. I want to have the flexibility of going back to my hometown any time I want. So I settled in a state where it only requires 2 hours of drive. And also if I get kicked out by Juan, at least 2 hours of driving is not bad while crying *joking,joking*.

Living in the city for 11 years make me realized how I did not appreciate the things and the people I have around me last time. It also taught me survival skills. A skill that is important when living in an unfamiliar place.

Nowadays paddy field seems so serene to me each time I go back and I noticed the locals are much more friendly as well as my neighborhood. Everyone knows each other and every evening the elderly will seat together at the back alley of my dad's house, while chit chating with each other. Accompanied by the cold breeze. Some of them brought snacks too. These are the things we don't see in the big city. You may for some but it's a dying tradition of living together as neighbors.

In the city, most people shut their doors. So it's no surprise if they don't know their neighbor living next door. For some, you rarely see them at home. Some city people are selfish and harsh. Some are still nice people. I don't deny that.

Although I've been living in the city for 11 years, not long compared to some. I tried to remind myself not to lose the kampung girl spirit I have inside. I try not to be a selfish person instead I offer help to other people if needed and I give money to beggars instead of walking pass them. I don't want the city life consume my good values. I wish to make the world a better place by doing good things even a small one. It could change someone's life or perhaps you'll make a new friend.

Life is much more easier in small city. Cars don't honk at each other, food are rather reasonable, people walking at a slower pace. I miss my old life. My life in a school uniform.








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Instagram