Small gesture goes a long wayyy (true story)

12:38:00 PM

I remember being in China back in around 2004 when my dad was station there. Qingdao to be exact. I was there for almost a month. We usually pay my dad a visit twice a year. China can be good and bad at times. Depending on where you stay and the kind of people you meet. We were lucky that we met good people.

We usually go to the main town of Qingdao on Saturday morning and spent the whole day shopping for groceries. At times we end up shopping as well. You know woman. Driving in China is not a choice. You either take their public transport or hire a driver. Because if you decide to drive your own, you might not reach your destination -__-. Enough said.

When we go out, we bring a translator.  You can hardly understand their local dialect. The translator is also the daughter of the housekeeper that the company my dad work in hire. Her mum does the laundry,cleaning the house and cooks for my dad. They were nice family which you can hardly find in China.

It was a usual Saturday, during the winter. We go to the usual supermarket like we did the previous weeks throughout our stay. However, on that particular day, a man without his shirt caught my attention. He was siting in front of McDonald, without his clothes on. Wearing only his knee length short. Turns out that his shirt was used as a sheet for him to sit over instead of siting directly onto the floor. He doesn't have any limbs or legs.

 It was winter, so it was a bit weird for me to see a person without a single shirt on. I was wearing 4 layers of cloths of my body and  I still trembling from the coldness. Passer by were looking at him and did nothing. I was standing in front of him for quite some time. Looking at him. I called the translator (she speaks basic English). I asked that translator to ask that guy if he was hungry and he said yes he is. So I took some change from my dad, went  McDonald, bought a bowl of soup (they serve vege soup during winter and it's delicious) and a chicken burger. I put it in front of him and di nothing but looking at the food. Oopps, I forgot that he doesn't have limbs. I apologized to him (I can speak little Mandarin) . But before I helped him unwrapped his food, he bow, to show that he's thanking me. Bow to the point that I had to ask him to get up and say that I'm no God. Opened the burger and uncover the soup. I asked him if he wants me to feed him. He said, it's okay. But I was thinking, 'How the hell is he going to eat?' He lifted the super hot bowl with his mouth and ate the burger like a dog. Literally. That was when I cried. Instead of walking away, I sat on the cold floor without anything beneath me (except my jeans on) until he finishes his meal. I asked him again, if it was enough, he said yes. But I know, it was winter. People gets hungry very fast (I was hungry all the time during that period of time). I went to McDonald and and bought the same thing. 

During when he was eating his food, I cried and both of us became the highlight. Passerby stopped and surrounded us. They took photos of us (a minute of fame...hahaha). I told almost anyone I can think of this story. It left a mark in my life to be thankful with what I have. If I'd had the opportunity to do the same thing again, I would. You should, if you have the opportunity to visit countries like India and China to experience on how tough life can be at time. Not everyone has the opportunity to have a choice or options in their life.

Before I left for Malaysia, I told my dad, to buy him food whenever he is there to shop for groceries. The week after, he were no longer to be found at that spot. My dad said, probably the authority has taken him away or perhaps he shifted place.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Instagram