Body shaming (post natal version)

10:40:00 AM

Disclaimer: I'm writing this as a breastfeeding mum in MY OWN PERSPECTIVE. Yours may be different 👯

So, going into 8 months of breastfeeding journey. How was it then? Easy in terms of feeding. I have had mild  blocked duct. No mastitis or whatsoever but not in taking comments from people around you.

I've never imagined that having a baby can change how you looked. From an average decent looking person to a 'wear-a-pant' kind of mum. Well, that's me. I've no shame for that, in fact I'm guilty as charged.

Although I admit that my baby is being taken care by my parents, however I still have mummy and wifey chores waiting for me at home. Working from 8 to 5 just adds up to what I already have on my plate.

Since I return to the work force, I've been receiving sooooo many comments about how I look. Most of them are things I already know and if given a choice, I don't want to hear. I admit that I went through stages of change especially when I am now breastfeeding a 8 month old infant. What do you expect? Pregnancy and breastfeeding each resulted in another trip to the bra boutique. The sizes changes as my baby grows.

I pump an average of 4 times a day compared to when I first gave birth, 8 times in 24 hour span. 8 FREAKING TIMES A DAY! Imagine what pumping do to your boobs. Definitely it sagged a little. Ok I lied, it sagged A LOT. But then again, your child gets the benefit out of it. Mothers do what a mother has to do to feed their child. But not everyone is in the position to have hot bods, perky boobies right after post par-tum which include me. I'm lucky that I don't have to run on the thread mill for 30 minutes nor I have to sign up for gym to lose those baby-weight. I lose them immediately after I delivered #babyjedi.

Imagine being made fun of your boob every s.i.n.g.l.e time. Being picked on just because you have a plus size boob. No it's not fun when it's being done in front of your male colleague. No,no, not funny.
I tried to gather my anger together, not wanting to be the 'uncool' mummy at work but there has to be a point of stopping. Nope, it doesn't. It's just plain rude when it reach to an extend that a male is involved. Where is the dignity of a woman? You don't do dirty jokes with a male colleague. I mean making fun of your own self. That's not nice.

I'm sooo used to it that I don't really bother about it anymore. 'Do you feed yourself enough?' or 'You're so stick thin' or 'Omg, your boobs'. Most of the times, I tried to answer these questions like hundred of times a day and the comments just come throwing at me most of the time.

I know it's hard to hear these negative comments about you especially when it comes from another breastfeeding mum (breastfeeding mum, really?) but you can't really avoid them. All you can do is just keep a deaf-ear or tell them that you're not comfortable. Being quiet when you are constantly being commented at doesn't mean you are too scared to stand up for yourself, because for me, I have other important matters to attend too. Plus I always put this positive thought in my head 'No matter what people say, I know that I'm giving the best thing to my baby when some mothers unable to provide'.

For as long as your baby and your husband are fine with it, then why should you take it seriously. I know it's hard to do but hey, you're doing great despite of the changes you have gone through during your pregnancy until the day you gave birth to a healthy little toes. People will not understand because they're NOT IN YOUR SHOES no matter how many times you try to explain. Sometimes, you gotta let them experience it first hand.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Instagram